Sunday, September 19, 2010

21 More Days!

The final long run has been completed and there are only 21 days until the marathon.  Am I worried if I can go the distance?  Heck no!  I am worried about what I should wear and wear am I going to put my cliff shot blocks and should I buy a race belt that holds the race bib?  All very important questions right? 

I know for sure that I am going to wear my Imerman Angels singlet.  I need to decide if I should wear my baggy, comfy running shorts that don't look fashionable at all or the cute running skirt?  I have never worn the running skirt for a distance longer than 7 miles.  It didn't fail me then, so it shouldn't fail me at 26 miles.  I gotta look cute for my photos!

I love cliff shot blocks. I have used them on every training run and will use them on race day.  I have been putting them in my giant pocket that attaches to my water belt.  I don't plan on wearing the water belt since there are water stations, but wear do I put my blocks?  Should I buy the race belt so I have a place to put the blocks or just wear the water belt.  Then I can pass up the crazy busy water stops without worry.

Oh the silly questions a newbie marathoner asks!  Would love some advice from the veterans if possible.

Now here is why I am not worried about the marathon...I know I haven't run the distance yet, but I have run 23 twice.  Yesterdays 23 mile was partially done in heavy downpours and the last 9 miles I ran all by myself.  If I can do that, I can do anything!  Yesterday was a scheduled 26 mile run, but my husband called to say a storm was on the way and I decided to turn back early since the closest shelter was behind us and not in front of us.  I am not a big fan of thunder and lightning so I didn't want to be out in the open during that part.  Thankfully I made it to the highway and was able to stay under there during the thunder, a few other people from our training group were taking shelter there as well so I wasn't alone.  I may have cried if that happened.  Can I say again I really don't like thunder?  After the scary part of the storm passed we went our separate ways  (the others in my group hadn't reached their turn around point yet) and I continued the last 8 miles in pretty steady and sometimes heavy rain.  My new shoes got soaked for the second week in a row and now they are not pretty anymore.  :( 
Today I am still feeling a little sore.  I have some knee pain, but nothing too major.  Looking forward to a short run in a couple of days.  Hopefully the shoes will be dry by then.

1 comment:

zbsports said...

You can do it, good luck to you, looking forward for your update.