Thursday, October 14, 2010

10-10-10

I have been delaying my update on the race because I really just didn't know how to put in to words how I was feeling.  Today though I wrote an email to my recipe group and the words just flowed.  Allow me to copy and paste that email for you....

The heat during the marathon was brutal. I was doing really well for a while, but around mile 18 I didn't have too much left in me. From that point on the miles had a lot more walking then running, but I made it through. I was never so grateful to make the turn before the final bridge that led to the finish line. You hear the announcer saying, "You're a part of Chicago Marathon history! You're not just a runner, you're a finisher, you're a marathoner!" Heavens. I somehow had enough in me to take off like a crazy woman and run like mad to the finish line! My Dad would have been proud!



I wish I could find the words to capture the experience of running the Chicago Marathon. In some ways, it was absolutely enormous--important, life-changing, emotional. And at the very same time, it was just one foot in front of the other, trusting the training. I would do it again in a heart beat. I loved running through all the different neighborhoods, seeing all the crazy costumes and the people watching. It was fun running by the United Center, dissapointed I didn't see any of my Blackhawks there. :) I wish I could relive running by the crowds by Moody Church, they were the best at cheering and encouraging us along the way. I think we all need a cheering section like that in our lives.


Ben and Trinity (my husband and daughter) came in to watch along with my sister and her husband. My brother ran with me and we got to see them at the 5k mark and around mile 10. I think it helped knowing I was going to see them along the route. I only wish I could have seen them a little more, it was just too hot for poor Trinity. When we found them after the race, she was crying and hiding in the shade with my sister. I gave her my wet towel to wipe her face and she drank more of my Gatorade than I did. The priorities of a Mom coming before the priorities of running.


Afterwards, my Mom threw us a perfect party with pizza and cake. During the race all I wanted was an ice cold Coke and I finally got it there.


I was a little sore in my knee and and my back, but I was able to walk and required no BenGay :) he he.

Would I do it again? I would. It was a great experience, and I'm thankful for every step. Would I encourage someone else to do it? Absolutely yes. I knew it would be hard, and it was harder than I thought. But I knew it would be amazing, and it was even more amazing than I could have imagined.

I finished in 6:07:28.  I was hoping I would have been a little faster, but it was impossible with the heat.  I was just glad I finished though and hope to do better next year.

It's not too late to donate to Imerman Angels.  If you can spare a few dollars please do so at www.firstgiving.com/stephanierea 

Thank you to all of you for your kinds words of encouragment and support along the way.  I couldn't have done it without you.

1 comment:

Iron Mike said...

Temperature makes a world of difference. You're guaranteed another PR next year, and it's great you're already thinking ahead. Sometimes the pain at Mile 18, and the ensuing pain afterward can make 5Ks seem much more attractive.
Great job, way to earn the title of marathoner, and do it for a good cause.